Not-so Magic Mushrooms

[picapp src=”0306/0000306112.jpg?adImageId=6351302&imageId=309382″ width=”380″ height=”271″ /]I heard on the local news a story about a mother and son hospitalized in serious condition after eating mushrooms picked from their yard. I love mushrooms, but wouldn’t trust myself to know if something in the backyard should be added to my omelet. Apparently the one they ate is called “destroying angel” or “death cap” and the original story references the Wikipedia page. According to a FDA article on mushroom toxins: 

There are four categories of mushroom toxins: protoplasmic poisons (poisons that result in generalized destruction of cells, followed by organ failure); neurotoxins (compounds that cause neurological symptoms such as profuse sweating, coma, convulsions, hallucinations, excitement, depression, spastic colon); gastrointestinal irritants (compounds that produce rapid, transient nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping, and diarrhea); and disulfiram-like toxins. Mushrooms in this last category are generally nontoxic and produce no symptoms unless alcohol is consumed within 72 hours after eating them, in which case a short-lived acute toxic syndrome is produced.

However, if you are interested in cooking with reliable mushrooms, check out www.themushroomchannel.com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s